Herbes de Provençe Grilled Chicken Breast with Ratatouile “Minute”
Grilled Chicken Ingredients
- 4 hormone free chicken breasts, skinless, boneless (6–8 oz. each)
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil, poured into a small plate
- 4 tsp. Herbs de Provence mixed with a pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper
Complete Part 1 for the Ratatouille (see below). Set aside. Have your skillet, olive oil, salt and pepper for Part 2 of the Ratatouille ready to go, but do not turn on the heat yet.
Preheat the BBQ grill (for the chicken breasts) to high heat. Dredge each chicken breast (both sides) first in the olive oil; then coat (both sides) with the Herbs/Salt/Pepper mixture. Lower the BBQ grill heat to medium, and place chicken breasts directly onto the grill for approximately 3 minutes per side, depending on size. Rotate periodically to prevent overcooking.
Remove the chicken from the grill and place onto a room temperature serving platter. Check for doneness with a kitchen thermometer inserted into thickest part of each breast; it needs to reach 165°F and the meat should be white (not pink or red) yet still juicy when you cut through.
Finish Part 2 for the Ratatouille (see below). This finishing step will take just “one minute”, and your chicken will still be hot. Serve both dishes together immediately.
Other options: If you don’t have or want to use a BBQ grill for your chicken, feel free to use a skillet.
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, wash and hand-pick leaves off stems and set aside
- 1 medium zucchini, slice lengthwise and remove soft inner section; diced into ¼” cubes and set aside
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise and soft inner section removed; diced into ¼” cubes and set aside
- 1 Roma tomato, slice lengthwise and soft inner watery section removed; diced into ¼” cubes and set aside
- 1 small Japanese eggplant, peel off entire skin using vegetable peeler; diced into ¼” cubes and set aside
- 2 Tb. extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Part 1: The shallot and garlic should be minced, and the zucchini, yellow squash, tomato and eggplant should all be the same size (¼” cubes). Put all these into a bowl with the thyme leaves, and toss gently. Set aside.
Part 2: Heat a skillet on high heat. Add olive oil but don’t let it smoke. Add the entire vegetable mixture all at once, letting it sizzle for about 15 seconds. Stir gently with a wooden spoon and sizzle until lightly crunchy. Remove immediately from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately with the Grilled Chicken.